Oh my...

Tony Kushner. There are some playwrights that I read that make me want to sit down and write plays. When I read Tom Stoppard, or Edward Albee, I think, "Damn. I want to do that." After reading Kushner's adaptation of Corneille's The Illusion recently I sat back and thought, "Fuck it. Why does anybody even try? Nobody can do that."

Kushner's use of the language is absolutely unparalleled. I have often been heard to utter the statement that Millennium Approaches is the greatest play written since Shakespeare died. A bold statement, I know. I said this to Gabriel the other night and he got a funny look on his face and said, "Well... at least since Williams died." But I really believe it. This play isn't about gay or straight; it's not about AIDS; it's not about religion; it's not about politics; it's not about relationships; it's about EVERYTHING. And that's the way Shakespeare wrote. Plays about the entire world.

And this is the play I get to be a small part of. I got a call two weekends ago from Shannon Maddox saying they had lost their Joe and asking if I was available. And by the way, rehearsals start on Thursday. The answer was, "No." I'm currently directing a production of The Importance of Being Earnest for a local college. If I were to take on Angels it would mean a work/rehearsal schedule of 8 am to 10:30 pm Monday through Friday with rehearsals Saturday from 10-6 and Sunday from 9-3:30. From now until December 4th. Of course, the answer I gave was "Hell, yes!". This my my last chance to play Joe, and I'm not missing it.

Last weekend's rehearsals only served to confirm that I made the correct decision. Gabriel's intelligence and real understanding of the script, the cast's professionalism and ability, stage management's organization and humor, all give me confidence that the show will be everything I hoped working on Angels would be.

Big thanks to Mary Ann Walsh for recommending me, Shannon Maddox for remembering me, and especially to Gabriel for trusting those two wierdos about me. I won't disappoint you!

I'll see all of you opening weekend.

0 Responses to “Oh my...”

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link

Donate now!

Artists/Collaborators

  • Gabriel Shanks
  • Artistic Director

  • Erik C. Bruce
  • Allen Cutler
  • Shannon Maddox
  • Kay Mitchell
  • Jeni Shanks
  • Artistic Associates

  • Charles Borkhuis
  • Erin Browne
  • Oscar Castillo
  • Jane Ann Crum
  • Robbie Heacock
  • Shannon Hunt
  • Jeffrey James Keyes
  • Barbara Lanciers
  • Leonard Madrid
  • Gretchen Michelfeld
  • Christopher Mirto
  • Catherine Porter
  • Juanita Rockwell
  • Barry Rowell
  • Jeni Shanks
  • Nomi Tichman
  • Mary Ann Walsh


  • Zipcar: wheels when you want them. Learn more.


XML

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



© 2006 Madshag Performance Group | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.